Tuesday, September 9, 2014

September 2014 29 Faces Challenge - Week One Recap

29 faces
When I first committed to participating the in 29Faces Challenge for September, I was a bit worried that I would not be able to keep pace with the other artists or that I wouldn't be able to produce that amount of work.  I felt a little pressure when it came to having to create 29 faces in 30 days and to blog about each piece. 
As I've completed the first week, I don't feel at all pressured anymore.  In fact, I'm enjoying the entire process.  With every piece I create I feel like I'm connecting to my artistic side more.  I'm practicing a little bit of art on a daily basis.  I've found it is really a great process for uplifting the spirits.  I'm learning a lot about the unique characteristics of different faces.  The challenge is actually something I look forward to doing.  I like it so much, I'm already thinking about participating in the February 2015 Challenge!

For the first week I created an array of faces.  On day one I sketched a female face straight from my imagination and titled it, "Simple Beauty."  On day two, I researched how different Geisha's looked and sketched a newly full fledged Geisha.  On day three, I decided to try drawing a newborn and I wound up with an image that looked like my first born "Matthew David."  On day four, I sketched a fortune teller scrying into a crystal ball ( I'm hoping to make a painting with a similar theme in the future.)  I presented a graphite pencil sketch of my daughter on day five and titled it "Jessica Marie."  On day six, I sketched a photo of my mother, and day for day seven and eight, I sketched a photo of my friend and her son titled, "Tracey and Brock."  That last sketch let me even get ahead of the game a little bit since the drawing consisted of two people instead of one! I was pleasantly surprised by some of my creations, and I was pleased with the diversity of faces I drew.

I'm already in the process of coming up with ideas for the second week of the challenge.  I have to say, I'm really having fun doing it and I'm so glad I didn't pass up the opportunity to participate. I encourage any artist take up the 29 Faces Challenge - it will help you connect with your creative side a little bit every day and to keep the creative juices flowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment