Monday, February 1, 2016

February 2016 and 29 Faces

It’s been a while since I’ve put any amount of focus on my creativity.  Admittedly, my creative endeavors have been more like spurts of creativity than anything steadily productive.  Health issues have had a lot to do with my lack of energy and enthusiasm, but February is here and I’ve decided to buckle down and focus.  And what better way to do that then to give this month’s 29 Faces Challenge a shot.  Last year I didn’t even make it out of the stall, but with a single picture of Marilyn Monroe, but it is I believe my best depiction of her to date.

At first I felt bad about it … getting all hyped up in 2015 for 29Faces and then not being able to complete what I initially set out to do. This lesson alone teaches a lot because art is not about quantity, it’s about quality, and it’s not about getting it done in a hurry or participating in an artistic endeavor for the sake of participation.  Creating art is about bringing something into this world. It’s a method of manifesting one’s thoughts or the images one sees with the mind’s eye. Getting it done and enjoying the entire experience on the way to completion are all part of the process.  And, creating art in whatever form you want to create it can really be an exercise in self-exploration and mindful awareness. Art is ritual…it’s something sacred, both in terms of the experience and in regard to what is created. Art is profound, at least that’s how I feel about it when I am involved with a creative project.  Artistic endeavors leave me open to receiving epiphanies and, sometimes, creative solutions. Creating it is a meditation, and working on a piece is a method of making a conscious connection, not just with your intuitive or higher self, but with something far greater than yourself entirely.   Whether you finish the piece or not doesn’t make the process less of a reflective experience.

So for 2016 I am still enthusiastic.  In fact, I had a bit of a warm up about a week back when I did a black and white rendition of David Bowie in pencil … I felt good to take the time to do a single drawing as it has been a while since I have…it got the creative juices flowing so to speak.  Today, for Face 1 of 29, I decided to draw Christina Aguilera.  All in all, I think it came out a lot better than I thought it would, but I still think something is a bit off … particularly with the shape of the eyes I think. I’m thinking they should be a bit tighter or more of an almond shape. I did do something a bit different with this picture though as I went with mixed media.  I used sketch pencils for the entire face, and Derwent colored pencils for the yes, lips, and earrings. I love how just a little bit of color makes the different features pop off the page!

Christina Aguilera by Dayna Winters.
Copyright 2016.

If you’re stopping by my blog and you’re participating in 29faces, leave me a comment as I would really love to check out your work as well.  I hope you thoroughly enjoy, not just what you create, but the creation process. Until tomorrow… Namaste.

P.S. Do you want to do the challenge?  Check out 29 Faces now! The challenge is now in its fourth year!

~Dayna Winters


6 comments:

  1. She's beautiful, I especially like the light on her cheek bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very interesting to read Your text. Very wise and good ideas. Especially I also think that art is meditation. When I paint I escape somewhere very deep and it is difficult to come back to this real world. (Sorry my English but I hope You understand what I mean).

    Your drawing is very beautiful and well done. You are right - a little color is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is so soft and lovely.
    I also feel that creating art is meditative, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. Your art is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art is my therapy...it's how I work through the unpleasant things and how I celebrate the positives. I have a deep need to be able to create that makes me feel complete. Often I have to struggle with health issues and life too ans art falls to the back burner...but the simmer is always there . Love the face ♥

    ReplyDelete