Monday, February 2, 2015

It's Time February 2015 29 Faces!

"Anthony Hopkins," by Dayna Winters.
It's that time of year again, and I'm happy to be participating in this month's 29 Faces Challenge!  Admittedly, I'm already a day behind due to a cold I've developed, but I'll make up the difference later on this week. For today, I've attempted to draw Anthony Hopkins.  As I tried to draw his facial features, I realized just how much character his face has, and I found him extremely challenging to draw.  It's true what they say about art teaching you how to see.  When I'm drawing something I see so much more in the way of features and characteristics, versus when I'm just casually looking at something or talking to someone.  Art therefore brings a person outside of themselves, if only for a short while, where they can begin to see the world without the flawed lens of a barrage of thoughts, constant distractions, and blurred perceptions getting in the way.

I am in the process of trying to teach myself on how to improve on skin details and tone values. I've seen some terrific videos online revealing different techniques for creating skin and its little nuances.  Of course, I'm not using sketch pencils and I'm only using graphite which I found out is part of the problem.  Apparently, a graphite pencil cannot give you the different tonalities professional sketch pencils can. It doesn't matter how hard you press on the graphite pencil or don't, it's just not the same effect. Thankfully, I know I have a couple of sketch pencils around the house somewhere, and I've been meaning to try them out. This challenge might be the perfect opportunity to do so.

I'm still working on the finer details of how to draw mouths, lips, fingers and hands.  I feel like I'm making progress, but some days I feel like I've got a long way to go before I'm drawing with the level of skill I desire.  What's nice about the 29 Faces Challenge is I'm sure to get in on plenty of practice.  Also, I find I'm challenging myself more often to take on more challenging subjects.  I'm not sure if I'll use any other medium this month, but we'll see what my inspiration and muses bring me! :)

Until next time, blessings!

9 comments:

  1. i agree, it is wonderful how we can find lessons on line. i rarely draw age into my people. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great start to the challenge! Like you I would like my portrait skills to be better, and one person who has helped me is Proko.com. His tutorials on facial features are really great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! He looks like Hopkins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony Hopkins is so cool! His face's got character, soul and spirit, and you've captured his magic in your drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely does resemble Anthony Hopkins. I like the way you've added the lines. Very nicely done.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job, I can't wait to see more of your work this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic drawing - I think the eyes particularly resemble Anthony Hopkins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sketch and likeness of Sir Anthony :)

    ReplyDelete