Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Face #10 September 2014 29Faces Challenge - "Emily Dickinson"

"Emily Dickinson,"by Dayna Winters
Today I wanted to present a drawing that mixed my love of poetry with my love of art.  I found an old photograph of Emily Dickinson in the public domain and thought it perfect for the challenge.  Again, like the drawing of Marilyn Monroe, I worried whether or not I could sketch a work that would capture Emily's features enough to make her recognizable.

The photo I used to create this sketch also gave me some difficulties.  I think I made the face just a touch too round, and the eyes are a bit larger than they should be.  Also, there are few images of Emily, and of the few there are several unauthenticated daguerreotypes.  So I decided to use the most popular image as a reference of her; the daguerreotype taken at Mount Holyoke Seminary.  The photo was so old, some of the minute features were difficult to see or identify.  In fact, the photo was sold old and worn, I couldn't tell if Emily had a couple of freckles on her face or if the photo's wear and tear made it look like she did.  I decided to leave off the freckles since many other artistic depictions of her do not include them.

To that end, suggesting that I left out freckles on Emily's face because other artists have done the same makes me wonder how often artists refrain from including certain depictions, characteristics, features, or elements in a work of art based on general consensus, other depictions, cultural understandings or social expectations.  For example, I know there are many pieces of artwork depicting Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.  Some of the art shows Eve handing Adam an apple, despite the fact that the Book of Genesis makes no reference to the fruit.  Thanks to the work of John Milton and "Paradise Lost," the apple has become a pervasive image associated with Eve, Eden, and temptation.  This understood notion is then replicated in art, despite the fact there are no biblical verses to support it.  The entire question leads to another; How does our own perceptions and observances influence our artistic renderings? 

When I was in college, I had a chance to visit Dickinson's home on a class trip.  I had a lot of fun and it was great to have the opportunity to see where Emily use to live and write.  The image below is Emily's home. The last time I knew there were tours available, but I took part in the class trip before 2008. There is small shop inside where you can buy books about Dickinson and other souvenirs. Of course, being the bibliophile I am, anyone that knows me knows I walked out of the little shop with a book!  I also got a bookmark (a now very worn out bookmark I might add) with a quote from Emily:

"To be a Flower is profound responsibility." - Emily Dickinson



Emily Dickinson at the Mount Holyoke Seminary circa 1847-1848
I decided to add a quotation by Emily to the piece I sketched: one that references artistic pursuits.  The quote in the lower left corner reads: "Nature is a haunted house -- but Art -- is a house that tries to be haunted."  I like the quotation because in a concise, simple, beautiful, and powerful way, Dickinson describes what an artist does - replicate nature in its many forms.  In our attempt to mimic nature through art, it becomes possible to really explore the diverse features of one's subject matter.  I think artists look very closely at what they are trying to replicate - examining every small detail in order to create a near perfect replication.  Through such observances it becomes possible to really appreciate the complexity of all creation.  Art lets us see - lets us really see something/someone, whether we are depicting an image straight from our imaginings or we are attempting to replicate something/someone from everyday life.  Our lives are so rushed - everyday is filled with myriad commitments, work, family, frustrations, anxious moments, that we often have so little time to truly see what is around us - to appreciate the miracles in our every day existence.  Art, in any form, whether it is writing, drawing, or painting, lets us re-engage with nature and our environment - to spend time appreciating our surroundings and everything in it.  Through art we become, not merely an observer, but a  mindful observer of the world.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with u....i see so much of u in your art...u are the most talented woman i have ever had the pleasure of knowing....a truly gifted mind who's perceptions never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edited* thank you so much for your kindness Tracey! Love and light!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Clare Lloyd! I appreciate you taking the time to view my work and to comment. I appreciate your kindness too! Love & Light! :)

      Delete