Thursday, September 25, 2014

Face 25 for the 29 Faces Challenge - September 2014

"Gordon Ramsay," by Dayna Winters.

 For face 25 of the 29 Faces Challenge,  I originally wanted to draw a depiction of Quentin Tarantino, but the drawing came out horrible and it was impossible to repair.  I'm definitely going to give it another go in the future - I think I took on the task when I was just too tired to get fully involved in the production process.

 I choose Chef Gordon Ramsay as my subject.  I enjoy watching shows like Master Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and Hotel Hell.  Ramsey's face has a lot of character, so depicting him in a sketch definitely proved to be a challenge.  I'm pretty happy with the result, although I feel like I made him look a touch older than he actually looks - this was not my intent and I'm not quite sure why the depiction looks a bit age progressed.

The challenge is quickly drawing to a close and I have really had a terrific time drawing faces and learning new techniques during this challenge.  I'm definitely planning to participate in the February 2015 challenge as well.  In the meantime, I'm going to working on an art journal - I'm even considering entering an art journal challenge for the month of October.  This challenge has taught me that I need a lot of practice in certain areas, particularly in drawing the specific facial features like the mouth, ears, and eyes.  I'll be doing some practice art from time to time to further hone my skills.  I've enjoyed drawing faces thus far, and may very well continue doing so.  Sketching various people will allow me to build up my art base and portfolio.  It will also allow me to track my progress over time and to see what kind of positive or negative trends I can identify in my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment