Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Face #9 for the September 29Faces Challenge - Marilyn Monroe

"Marilyn Monroe," by Dayna Winters

I have to admit, when I made the decision to draw Marilyn Monroe for face number 9 of the 29 Faces Challenge, I was somewhat concerned that I was biting off more than I could chew.  Drawing portraits from real life is something that is very new to me, and with a pop icon like Monroe, I think, much like spelling French words that are next to impossible to sound out with all those silent letters, you either get it right or you don't get it at all.

I've been taking a look at some quotes made by artists, and I found one that fits my Monroe drawing experience perfectly.  Picasso once said, "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." This quote can't be truer for an artist looking to hone skills and expand one's artistic horizons.  

As the author Brene Brown suggests, one must risk being vulnerable and dare greatly to achieve great things. While I was much intimidated by my attempt at drawing such a recognizable icon, I wasn't about to let that stop me for making the effort.  The exercise is helping me to cast aside self doubt and criticism, while I boldly challenge myself to things I once believed otherwise impossible.  I'm really satisfied with the outcome of this piece - not so much for the fact that I made the sketch look slightly similar to Marilyn, but because I was brave enough to challenge myself to do it!  If I'm gaining anything from pushing myself through the 29 Faces Challenge, it's greater self confidence in my artistic ability, and the courage to present it to the world.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your words, and it is a huge challenge to draw like that. I admire your guts ;) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete