Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"Geisha - Face #2 in the 29Faces Challenge

"Geisha," by Dayna Winters.
"Geisha" is the second face for the 29Faces Challenge this month.  I think the biggest challenge involved making the face and neck appear very white so I could set it apart from other elements when I was only doing a sketch.  The easiest part of the sketch for me was the neck and robe.  I had some difficulty shaping the chin the way I wanted it to look, at least at first. 

I did a little bit of research on the Geisha and I had no idea that the term literally means "artist," which makes creating this piece an interesting synchronicity. This geisha is one that is a new full fledge geisha, as is indicated by her filled in upper lip and partially filled in lower lip.  As I sketched the image, I couldn't help but to think about the novel "Memoirs of a Geisha."  I remember reading the book in college when I was studying Contemporary Literature."

4 comments: