Friday, September 19, 2014

Face 17 for September 2014 29 Faces Challenge

"Oprah Winfrey," by Dayna Winters.
The quote I like the best from today's subject is: "Do the one thing you think you cannot do.  Fail at it.  Try again.  Do better the second time.  The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.  This is your moment. Own it."  The latter quote is from none other than Oprah Winfrey.  I chose this subject because I find her inspiring.  When I have the time, I like to watch her interviews with brilliant and inspirational people.

I had a bit of difficulty when it came to getting the shape of Oprah's face just right, and I also struggled a bit when it came time to draw the mouth and eyes.  Nevertheless, I think I did a fairly good depiction considering this is my first attempt.  I chose graphite pencil for the medium because, for me, it is the easiest medium to work with at the moment.  When I paint something, it takes me far longer to complete the project.  This is probably because of two reasons - I'm way too finicky (and self critical to my own detriment), and I'm relatively new to painting with watercolors and acrylics on paper/canvas.  So for now, as I battle a small stomach bug (Yuck!), fatigue, and my inner critic, I'm sticking to the tried and true medium of pencil.  In February 2015, hopefully I'll be in a better place and able to produce works with more diversity in terms of medium.



No comments:

Post a Comment