Sunday, September 7, 2014

Faces 7 & 8 - for the 2014 September 29Faces Challenge

"Tracey & Brock," by Dayna Winters
Today's image is a sketch of two of my friends, Tracey and Brock.  I asked Tracey for a photo I could use and she kindly sent me one of her holding her son. I found the eyes, smiles, and smile lines the most challenging when I drew the sketch.  The clothing was relatively easy, and drawing the hair wasn't at all difficult.  I did discover that the darker something is in a pencil drawing, the longer it takes to get it just right.  Also particularly challenging was the different degrees of light and dark - when drawing in black and white there are no distinct colors to reveal the differences between various parts of the drawing so all of the shading is done in different degrees of dark and light.

After I completed the image, I sent it to Tracey and she was pleased with the outcome. She was surprise how quickly I had finished the piece too! ;)  While this is another sketch I've completed in graphite pencil this week, in week two of the challenge I'm planning on using different mediums including colored pencils, pen and ink, and perhaps paints if time allows.

7 comments:

  1. Fine and interesting serie of drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Uuna for your kind words and for taking the time to view my artwork. I appreciate it very much! :)

      Delete
  2. This is charming, one can truly see the friendship of your three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for viewing my art! I appreciate your kind words

      Delete
  3. wonderful sketch and shading. i am not surprised your friends liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for viewing my work! I greatly appreciate the feedback! This us only the fourth real life portrait I have ever done. Prior to that I often found portraits intimidating, but I am looking to expand my abilities. :)

      Delete
  4. We are so honored to be chosen for your art.....i especially love the comment how one can see our friendship thru your artistic rendering...i too saw the love of a great bonding friendship. To us, you are one of the most beautiful ppl in the world...gifted, caring and kind. Im so happy that u have decided to share your gift with the world...my wish for u sister is for everyone to see u as we do and appreciate u for everything u are!! We love u alwayz

    ReplyDelete