Tuesday, February 2, 2016

29 Faces 2016 – Day Two – John Lennon – Being in the Zone

I started today’s drawing last night as I wasn’t really sure how it was going to work out. If it didn’t work out where I felt at least a little bit comfortable with the way the piece looked, I was going to give something else a try. Then, my drawing of John Lennon would have to wait for another day. Thankfully, it worked out better than I expected. I’ve been wanting to draw a picture of John Lennon for quite some time; but, I either never found the time or, when I did have time, I never found myself in the perfect mood to do it.

Last night and this morning I was definitely in the mood for some relaxing creative time before I got the rest of my day started, and I am satisfied with the result. Because I really liked the way the light use of color worked on yesterday’s drawing, I decided to do the same with the image of Lennon, giving only color to the eyes, eyebrows, and mouth, while leaving all the rest in plain pencil. Once I got it started last night, I was eager to get up this morning to finish it off.

Sketch of John Lennon by Dayna Winters. Copyright 2016.

Sometimes I am “in the zone,” I am wide awake and my imagination is on overdrive, and that’s when something inside you tells you, “I want to draw right now,” or “I want to make something but I don’t know what.”  These moments are the precursor to the perfect mood for art.  I find that if I am in a bad mood, angry, frustrated, or depressed, then being creative and tapping into the imagination is not quite so easy (unless your subject matter itself is dark, depressing, angry, frustrating etc).

I also find that I am extra cautious, (some might call it a bit superstitious) when I am creating something too (big surprise here for anyone who really knows me lol); what I mean is I usually won’t approach a piece if I am in a funk. I believe my negative mood and vibes might somehow irreparably change the course of the piece’s natural evolution or that my negativity will ruin the piece by tainting it with all that nasty, dark energy.  I say usually, because sometimes I am willing to harvest negative energy and to put it to good use, even if it is to create a piece of artwork or writing that carries a darker tone.


How does your mood affect the way you approach your art?  Do you avoid negativity when creating art, harness the negative energy to make it something positive, or both?

12 comments:

  1. Nice job with Lennon! My mood doesn't really affect me unless I'm tired, but being anxious or upset actually fuels me a little and makes me feel better. Art has a therapeutic, healing effect. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh John! Wonderful likeness! He was taken way toooo soon! Nice of you to draw him so beautifully. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, stunning.

    If I'm depressed, I paint the feelings (those paintings I seldom show in my blog). Painting is therapy, in good and in bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured his essence perfectly! I find that my emotions always somehow find their way into my work, sometimes it's only after I've painted something that I realize what I was feeling. I think art is the perfect outlet for our emotions, and I'm also attracted to emotional pieces, even if the emotion is negative. It shows a piece of the maker that you would otherwise not see. So I never let my feelings keep me from painting or doing art. On the contrary, painting always gives me energy and puts me in a good mood :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful portrait, it feels so much like him! I tend to do art when I'm feeling positive. I just don't have the energy for it when I feel poorly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recognised him straight away! You're braver than I - I haven't tackled a 'known' face yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a very dark minded negative person, so it's hard for me to find that pure bright inspiration. But I usually just can't create if my muse isn't with me, it just comes out blah.

    ReplyDelete