Wednesday, February 3, 2016

29 Faces Day 3 – “All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy”

So I decided to go with Jack Nicholson this go round and made the attempt to capture his image in the iconic role of Jack Torrance in Stephen King’s The Shining.  Only Nicholson could play such a role with such creepy perfection…”All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” was the phrase that continued to run through my mind as I tried, (and I emphasize tried) to capture that madman look in his eyes in one of the most unforgettable madman stares on film.  See the video below for reference.




I don't think I hit the mark on this one. Something is way off with the drawing and maybe when I walk away from it and come back to it with fresh eye's I can put my finger on it.  To me, the eyes aren't right and the jaw bone is way off.  The mouth turned out way better than I anticipated though.  Maybe next time I'll get it the way I want it.

Jack Nicholson by Dayna Winters

One question came up while I was doing the work and it would be interesting to look into...when, during the creation of a piece does that piece go beyond being two dimensional.....not physically speaking, but in the emotion it captures and evokes? When you are drawing, when do you know you have done the image in such a way that it captures the precise emotion you want to share with the viewer?  How do you know you've achieved this?  What do you feel?

3 comments: