Sunday, September 14, 2014

Face 13 for the 29 Faces Challenge September 2014

"Edgar Allan Poe," by Dayna Winters.
With Halloween (Samhain) soon approaching (yes, really October 31 is not as far off as it might seem,) it got me thinking about all that is fun about the time of year - Halloween decor, celebrations, trick or treating, and, of course, scary stories, which leads me to today's portrait.   For face 13 (and I think my subject matter and the number 13 go together quite nicely), I drew one of my favorite writers, Edgar Allan Poe.  It's funny, but in many of the images of Poe he seems to have a dark countenance, one that matches the dark tone of many of his stories.  I absolutely love Poe's works, including stories like "The Fall of the House of Usher," and "The Tell-Tale Heart."  Of course, my absolute favorite piece (and I think it is favored by many),

 is his poem "The Raven."  Someday I hope to see the Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia too.

The image I used to rely on for this depiction of Poe comes from a daguerreotype produced in 1848.


Edgar Allan Poe in 1848.
I've decided to stick with graphite pencil as a medium for now.   I enjoyed drawing Poe and the drawing session went quickly with little difficulty.  The most difficult part of the image was completing his tie.  His eyes, nose, hair, and mouth were relatively easy to produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment