Monday, October 6, 2014

Update on Projects in the Works

In a post a while back I mentioned some really adorable pre-cut wood pieces.  I finally had an opportunity to finish a couple of them.  I am part of an Inspiration Tribe featuring a small group of women who seek to inspire on another. Each month I share a monthly mailing where we share some artwork with the other.  I took two precut wood pieces, a ladybug and a butterfly, and painted them with acrylics.  I then felted the back of them, added some magnets, and Wah la!  Handmade magnets.  It would definitely be a easy project if you want to do something for a daytime project with your kids.  

Precut pieces and magnets.
Here's a picture of the pieces in progress.  The wood cut owls and the flower are not quite finished yet.  I've got to get a bit of free time to polish them off.

Handmade wooden magnets in progress.


The finished magnets are large.  I added two magnets to the back of each to ensure stability.  You can use tacky glue or a glue gun to adhere the felt to the back of the magnet.  If you're going to make these and felt the back, I suggest you get a fabric pencil for tracing the precut wood shape onto the felt.  It will definitely lead to easier cutting.  

I remained true to the traditional colors of the lady bug and monarch butterfly, for the most part, but if you  wanted to, you can let your imagination run wild and paint them any color you desire.  The finished ladybug and butterful look like this:

Completed Ladybug and Butterfly Magnets.
I sent the two magnets to my friend, and later found out it was exactly what she needed.  The ladybug is a symbol of luck and the butterfly a symbol of transformation.  I hope they bring her many smiles in the future. In turn, last month I got a lovely piece of artwork from my friend:

 
The piece reminds me to be kind to myself and to view myself as a friend would, but I was also cautioned to keep a firm grasp on my own perspective too.  The owl piece is absolutely adorable!  I had wanted to brag about it earlier, but am just getting the chance to do so now.  I love the piece especially because of its portability and its downright adorableness!  I look forward to our monthly mailings - it's nice to get positive things in the mail on a monthly basis!




No comments:

Post a Comment