Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Few More Sketches Done In Some Down Time

"The Maiden," by Dayna Winters.

When it comes time to unwind, I love to sketch and I like challenging myself to try and draw new people, places, or things.  I came across a picture in the public domain of a young lady that reminded me of the maiden aspect of the goddess, so I drew her.  The medium is graphite pencil, although I'm now looking into potentially investing in some prismcolor soft core color pencils so I can render some sketches in color.  In the meantime, I'm still working on an art contest submission and hope to have it finished soon - I've got a lot of paintings on the back burner and so many other projects I want to do too.  The young lady has a ring of flowers on her head and I like the look of deep contemplation she has on her face.  The whole time I was drawing I could here the words, "Mother, Maiden, Crone, Hear the words I intone..." (From the second book I co-authored, "Sacred Objects, Sacred Space."


"Tom Hanks," by Dayna Winters.
Then, I decided to sketch a picture of Tom Hanks (yes, I know...seems kind of random and it really is (wink).  I didn't have too much trouble with the drawing, except for when it came time to draw the chin - It was a challenge to get the chin just right.  Interestingly, I had the same problem with the sketch after that - a depiction of George Clooney. I also struggled with drawing the ears.  I'm definitely in need of some more practice.  Tom Hank's role in The Green Mile, I think, is by far one of my favorites.  I also liked the movies Big, Castaway, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and I can still vaguely remember his role in the TV show Bosom Buddies (yes, I think I just aged myself).

The movies I liked Clooney in include From Dusk till Dawn, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and Fantastic Mr. Fox.  I know he played Batman, but in all honesty, my favorite actor in the role of Batman will always be Michael Keaton.  In the drawing, as I mentioned earlier, I had trouble with the shape of the face.  I struggled with drawing the mouth as well, and I think the depiction still needs work.

No comments:

Post a Comment